This page has moved to a new address.

Sweet 16!

The Weinbergers: Sweet 16!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sweet 16!

Today is my dear cousin's, Oksana, sixteenth birthday. I can't believe it! I don't know where the time has gone. The fact that Oksana is a part of our family is a miracle.

Oksana was born on April 20, 1995 in  L'viv, Ukraine. Four years later my Uncle Bill and cousin Peter went on a mission trip there and ministered to a local orphanage in L'viv. They say it happened like this: (I may not have the exact details right, but pretty close) While at the orphanage a little, round, four year  old girl walked up to my uncle and reached up to be held. It was Oksana. I don't think my uncle had much of a chance after that. I wish I had the picture of the two of them on that day to show you, it is precious. After Bill and Peter returned neither of them could get L'viv, Ukraine out of their minds. My uncle was feeling led to adopt Oksana, and Peter was feeling the Lord's calling to serve in L'viv for an extended amount of time. I'm not sure when Peter decided to go to L'viv for that fall semester, but I do know the gist of how the Lord called my aunt to Oksana. It was a few days (maybe weeks) after my uncle had returned to the states. I believe he had not said anything about adopting Oksana to my aunt, (this could be wrong) but while at the mission trip reflection night at church the picture of Oksana and Bill appeared in the slide show. After the evening was over my aunt asked my uncle if he thought they should adopt her, and this began the year long process of adoption. On July 18, 2000 Oksana became Oksana Murrell and a part of our family. We have never been the same since.

To say Oksana is a blessing in my life would be an enormous understatement. She is so dear to my heart, and I don't think I have ever loved someone so unconditionally. We are very close and I consider her more of a sister than a cousin. I am so thankful for my aunt and uncle's obedience. I have watched her become a young lady, and rejoice in what the Lord has done in her life. Whenever I hear or read this verse I think of her:

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Zephaniah 3:17












Happy Birthday, my dear Oksana! I can't wait to celebrate with you this weekend. Joe and I love you so very much!





Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Blogger Janelle and Ella said...

Elizabeth, I'm a good friend of Melissa's. She sent me this link so I could read your post on Oksana. I'm so glad she did because it is SO very touching! You are such a sweet cousin! Melissa has told me so much about you.

Janelle

 
At April 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Oksana!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home